Thought Bites: 3/4 a Bubble off of Plumb (Crazy is the Great Equalizer)

Leave a Comment
The first time I heard the phrase "Half a Bubble off of Plumb" I heard it from my VERY Southern Literature teacher in high school and through her accent I heard "Half a bubble off a plum."

I spent a long time wondering what bubbles and plums had to do with one another. Not because I didn't know about Levels or Plumb lines… just because I had no idea how to interpret what I was certain I'd heard.

Until one day, years later, while building a Stage Set for my Theatre Degree. I was laying a plumb line with a chalker and a level and I actually said out loud "It's about half a bubble that way" and then gasped because I suddenly understood.


I'm pretty sure I stood up, laughing at myself and said "Half a bubble off OF plumb… not half a bubble off A plum…" and everyone looked at me funny.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment!